Radiofrequency (RF) energy has been introduced as a promising energy source for treatment of benign and malignant tumors in animal models, as well as in humans.
- Rossi S.
- Di Stasi M.
- Buscarini E.
- et al.
Percutaneous radiofrequency interstitial thermal ablation in the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma.
Cancer J Sci Am. 1995; 1: 73-81
- Djavan B.
- Zlotta A.R.
- Susani M.
- et al.
Transperineal radiofrequency interstitial tumor ablation (RITA) of the prostate correlation of magnetic resonance imaging with histopathological examination.
Urology. 1997; 50: 986-993
3In urology, minimally invasive heat-based treatment options, including microwave and RF energy, have been used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) with much enthusiasm. The clinical utility of microwave-based treatments has been reviewed elsewhere.
- De Berg J.C.
- Pattynama P.M.T.
- Obermaun W.I.R.
- et al.
Percutaneous computed-tomography-guided thermocoagulation for osteoid osteomas.
Lancet. 1995; 346: 350-351
4This update focusses on the physics, applicability, and advantages of a novel saline-liquid conductor electrode for delivery of heat-based therapy to prostatic tissue. In contrast with other heat-based treatment modalities, such as microwave (dielectric heating) and high-intensity focused ultrasound (mechanical distortion), RF energy generates interstitial heat by inducing translational molecular motion.
- Djavan B.
- Larsen T.
- Blute M.
- et al.
Transurethral microwave thermotherapy what role should it play versus medical management in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia?.
Urology. 1998; 52: 935-947
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Percutaneous radiofrequency interstitial thermal ablation in the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer J Sci Am. 1995; 1: 73-81
- Transperineal radiofrequency interstitial tumor ablation (RITA) of the prostate.Urology. 1997; 50: 986-993
- Percutaneous computed-tomography-guided thermocoagulation for osteoid osteomas.Lancet. 1995; 346: 350-351
- Transurethral microwave thermotherapy.Urology. 1998; 52: 935-947
- Transurethral needle ablation of the prostate for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.Urology. 1995; 45: 28-33
- The TUNA procedure.Infect Urol. 1998; 11: 148-154
- Histopathological and biochemical study of the prostate following transurethral needle ablation (TUNA).J Endourol. 1996; 10: 109
- Tissue heating during radiofrequency catheter ablation.PACE Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1989; 12: 962-976
- Temperature guided radiofrequency catheter ablation with very large distal electrodes.Circulation. 1993; 88: 245-249
- Basic aspects of radiofrequency catheter ablation.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 1994; 5: 863-876
- Biophysics and pathology of catheter energy delivery systems.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1995; 37: 185-204
- Advanced radiofrequency ablation in canine myocardium.Am Heart J. 1994; 127: 851-857
- Thermodynamic technique for the quantification of regional blood flow.Am J Physiol. 1980; 238: 682-696
- Controlled destruction and temperature distributions in biological tissues subjected to monoactive electrocoagulation.J Biomed Eng. 1980; 102: 42-49
- Electrophysiologic principles of radiofrequency lesion making.Appl Neurophysiol. 1976; 39: 60-76
- A new method to couple radiofrequency energy to prostate tissue using electrolyte solution to enhance ablation.J Endourol. 1995; 9: A125
- Enhanced radiofrequency ablation of canine prostate utilizing a liquid conductor.J Endourol. 1996; 10: 5-11
- Transurethral prostate ablation with saline electrode allows controlled production of larger lesions than conventional methods.J Endourol. 1997; 11: 279-284
- Transurethral prostate ablation using saline-liquid electrode introduced via flexible cystoscope.J Endourol. 1998; 12: 461-468
- Transurethral tissue ablation of the canine prostate with radiofrequency energy using a novel saline electrode.Eur Urol. 1998; 33: A74
- Correlation of interstitial temperature measurement to developed lesion size in the prostate using radiofrequency energy and the liquid electrode.J Urol. 1999; 161: A4
- The optimization of laser prostatectomy..Urology. 1994; 44: 856-861
- The prostate block for outpatient prostate surgery.World J Urol. 1998; 16: 378-383
- A multicenter pilot study to assess the feasibility of the RFT system in men with symptomatic BPH.J Urol. 1999; 161: A4
- Ex vivo experiment on radiofrequency liver ablation with saline infusion through a screw-tip cannulated electrode.J Surg Res. 1997; 71: 19-24
- Ablation of renal tumors in a rabbit model with interstitial saline-augmented radiofrequency energy.Urology. 1999; 53: 465-472
Accepted: July 22, 1999
Received in revised form: July 22, 1999
Received: June 17, 1999
© 2000 Elsevier Science Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.