Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
- Hospital-Readmission Risk — Isolating Hospital Effects from Patient Effects.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1055-1064https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1702321
- Readmissions, Observation, and the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1543-1551https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1513024
National Health Expenditures 2020 Highlights. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services;:1-4. Accessed August 27, 2022. https://www.cms.gov/files/document/highlights.pdf
- Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-Based Competition on Results.in: Presented at: National Association of Chain Drug Stores. May 2, 2006 (Accessed July 20, 2022)https://www.hbs.edu/ris/Publication%20Files/20060502%20NACDS%20-%20Final%2005012006%20for%20On%20Point_db5ede1d-3d06-41f0-85e3-c11658534a63.pdf
Driving Health System Transformation - A Strategy for the CMS Innovation Center's Second Decade. Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation;:1-32. Accessed July 20, 2022. https://innovation.cms.gov/strategic-direction-whitepaper
- June 2008 Report to the Congress: Chapter 4: A Path to Bundled Payment around a Hospitalization.2008: 1-23 (Accessed July 20, 2022)https://www.medpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/import_data/scrape_files/docs/default-source/reports/Jun08_Ch04.pdf
- Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRRP).Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, 2022: 1 (Accessed July 20, 2022)https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/Readmissions-Reduction-Program#:∼:text=The%20Hospital%20Readmissions%20Reduction%20Program,in%20turn%2C%20reduce%20avoidable%20readmissions
2025 Public Reporting Key Dates and Resources: Hybrid Hospital-Wide Readmission (HWR) and Hybrid Hospital-Wide Mortality (HWM) Measures. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services;:1. https://ecqi.healthit.gov/sites/default/files/2025-Hybrid-HWR-HWM-Key-Dates-and-Resources.pdf
- Evaluation of Unplanned Hospital Readmissions After Major Urologic Inpatient Surgery in the Era of Accountable Care.Urology. 2017; 109: 94-100https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2017.07.043
- Urologic Diseases in America.US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2012 (Accessed July 20, 2022)https://www.niddk.nih.gov/-/media/Files/Strategic-Plans/urologic/Urologic_Diseases_in_America41312.pdf
- Trends in the prevalence of kidney stones in the United States from 2007 to 2016.Urolithiasis. 2021; 49: 27-39https://doi.org/10.1007/s00240-020-01210-w
- The impact of unplanned postprocedure visits in the management of patients with urinary stones.Surgery. 2014; 155: 769-775https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2013.12.013
- Medicode (Firm) ICD-9-CM: International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification. 5th ed. Medicode, 1997
- Nationwide Readmission Rates Following Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: Does Age Matter?.J Endourol. 2019; 33: 704-711https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2019.0239
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: Development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Thirty-day and 90-day hospital readmission after outpatient upper extremity hemodialysis access creation.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 65: 1376-1382https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2016.11.023
- Timing and Causes of Readmission After Acute Heart Failure Hospitalization—Insights From the Heart Failure Network Trials.J Card Fail. 2016; 22: 875-883https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2016.04.014
- Variation in Surgical-Readmission Rates and Quality of Hospital Care.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1134-1142https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1303118
- Risk Factors for 30-Day Hospital Readmission among General Surgery Patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2012; 215: 322-330https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.05.024
- Postoperative Emergency Department Visits After Urinary Stone Surgery: Variation Based on Surgical Modality.J Endourol. 2020; 34: 93-98https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2019.0399
- Effect of Comorbidity On Unplanned Readmissions After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (From The Nationwide Readmission Database).Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 11156https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-29303-y
- Frequency and timing of emergency department visits and hospital admissions in stented patients following common stone procedures.Urolithiasis. 2022; 50: 381-387https://doi.org/10.1007/s00240-022-01313-6
- What is the best way to manage ureteric calculi in the time of COVID-19? A comparison of extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (SWL) and ureteroscopy (URS) in an Australian health-care setting.BJUI Compass. 2021; 2: 92-96https://doi.org/10.1002/bco2.55
- Guidelines on Urolithiasis1.Eur Urol. 2001; 40: 362-371https://doi.org/10.1159/000049803
- Factors Influencing Readmission after Elective Ureteroscopy.J Urol. 2016; 195: 1487-1491https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2015.11.030
- Unplanned 30-Day Encounters After Ureterorenoscopy for Urolithiasis.J Endourol. 2018; 32: 1100-1107https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2018.0177
- The Effect Of The Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program On Readmission And Observation Stay Rates For Heart Failure.Health Aff (Millwood). 2018; 37: 1632-1639https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2018.0064
- Can all cause readmission policy improve quality or lower expenditures? A historical perspective on current initiatives.Health Econ Policy Law. 2014; 9: 193-213https://doi.org/10.1017/S1744133113000340
- Older people with hip fracture transferred to intermediate care: outcomes in an integrated health and social care model.Future Healthc J. 2018; 5: 58-63https://doi.org/10.7861/futurehosp.5-1-58
- Outcomes After Peripheral Vascular Interventions in Patients With End-Stage Renal Disease.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 74: e170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2021.06.257
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Declarations of Interest: None.
Competing Interests: None.
Support/Financial Disclosures: Becton-Dickinson funded and assembled the data from the IBM MarketScan Commercial and Medicare Supplement databases.