Minimally invasive kidney autotransplantation (KAT) have demonstrated reduced morbidity, however multiport robotic approach required patient repositioning and multiple sets of incisions. We present our initial series of single-port (SP) robotic KAT, ideal for multi-quadrant surgeries, and aim to evaluate feasibility and safety of the novel approach.
Between 2018- 2022, eight consecutive patients underwent SP KAT using the DaVinci SP platform. Patient clinicopathologic variables and perioperative outcomes were recorded. Indications for KAT include complex or recurrent ureteral stricture, ureteral avulsion, and chronic visceral pain due to multiple etiologies.
All SP KATs were successfully performed without repositioning or conversion to open. Operative times ranged from 366 to 701 mins, warm and cold ischemia times between 4 to 10 mins and 86 to 209 mins, respectively. Median hospital length of stay was 3 days. At a median of 13 months follow-up, latest postoperative GFRs were stable, ranging from +23% to -10%. There were no complications.
We demonstrate our single-port, multiquadrant robotic kidney autotransplantation technique performed though a single incision further reducing surgical morbidity. All cases were completed successfully without conversion or loss of graft function. All patients reported resolution of flank pain and no radiological evidence of urinary obstruction on follow up.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Robot-assisted Kidney Autotransplantation: A Minimally Invasive Way to Salvage Kidneys.Eur Urol Focus. 2018; 4: 198-205
- Renal autotransplant in patients with complex hilar renal artery aneurysms.Exp Clin Transplant. 2013; 11: 450-453
- Kidney autotransplantation: long-term outcomes and complications. Experience in a tertiary hospital and literature review.Int Urol Nephrol. 2017; 49: 1929-1935
- Renal Autotransplantation: 27-Year Experience at 2 Institutions.J Urol. 2015; 194: 1357-1361
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy with Autotransplantation: Safety, Efficacy and Long-Term Durability.J Urol. 2015; 194: 738-743
- Robotic-assisted kidney transplant: a single center experience with median follow-up of 2.8 years.World J Urol. 2020; 38: 2651-2660
- Renal artery aneurysm treated with ex vivo reconstruction and autotransplantation.Urology. 2010; 75: 1067-1068
- Wee A. Renal autotransplantation and modified pyelovesicostomy for intractable metabolic stone disease.J Urol. 2011; 186: 1910-1915
- Kidney autotransplantation after nephrectomy and work bench surgery as an ultimate approach to nephron-sparing surgery.World J Surg Oncol. 2018; 16: 35
- A New Test to Predict the Outcome of Renal Autotransplant for Loin Pain Hematuria Syndrome.Exp Clin Transplant. 2018; 16: 651-655
- A tertiary experience of ileal-ureter substitution: Contemporary indications and outcomes.Scand J Urol. 2016; 50: 192-199
- Ileal ureter substitution: a contemporary series.Urology. 2003; 62: 998-1001
- Robotic Buccal Mucosal Graft Ureteroplasty for Complex Ureteral Stricture.Urology. 2017; 110: 257-258
- Robotic Salvage Pyeloplasty With Buccal Mucosal Onlay Graft: Video Demonstration of Technique and Outcomes.Urology. 2017; 110: 253-256
- Robotic kidney autotransplantation in a porcine model: a procedure-specific training platform for the simulation of robotic intracorporeal vascular anastomosis.J Robot Surg. 2018; 12: 693-698
- How to do it: a robotic kidney autotransplant.ANZ J Surg. 2020;
- Robot-assisted kidney transplantation: update from the European Robotic Urology Section (ERUS) series.BJU Int. 2020;
- Minimally invasive robotic versus conventional open living donor kidney transplantation.World J Urol. 2020; 38: 795-802
- Minimally Invasive, Laparoscopic, and Robotic-assisted Techniques Versus Open Techniques for Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Systematic Review.Eur Urol. 2017; 72: 205-217
- Single Port Robotic Extra-peritoneal Dual Kidney Transplantation: Initial Preclinical Experience and Description of the Technique.Urology. 2019; 134: 232-236
- Multiquadrant Combined Robotic Radical Prostatectomy And Left Partial Nephrectomy: A Combined procedure by A Single Approach.Actas Urol Esp. 2020; 44: 119-124
- A Comparison of Perioperative Outcomes Between Single-port and Multiport Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy.Eur Urol. 2020; 77: 671-674
- Outpatient Extraperitoneal Single-Port Robotic Radical Prostatectomy.Urology. 2020; 144: 142-146
- Robotic Laparoendoscopic Single-site Retroperitioneal Renal Surgery: Initial Investigation of a Purpose-built Single-port Surgical System.Eur Urol. 2017; 71: 643-647
- Graft outcomes of living donor renal transplantations in elderly recipients.Transplant Proc. 2008; 40: 2299-2302
- Single port robot-assisted transperitoneal kidney transplant using the SP(R) surgical system in a pre-clinical model.Int Braz J Urol. 2020; 46: 680-681
- Robotic Autotransplantation and Management of Post-transplant Anastomotic Strictures: the Future Is Here.Curr Urol Rep. 2018; 19: 31
- A Comparative Analysis of Surgical Scar Cosmesis Based on Operative Approach for Radical Prostatectomy.J Endourol. 2020;
- Expanded experience with laparoscopic nephrectomy and autotransplantation for severe ureteral injury.J Urol. 2003; 169: 1363-1367
- Minimally invasive kidney transplantation: perioperative considerations and key 6-month outcomes.Transplantation. 2015; 99: 316-323
- Completely intracorporeal robotic renal autotransplantation.J Urol. 2014; 192 (NovEpub 2014 Jun 21. PMID: 24960467): 1516-1522https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2014.02.2589
Accepted: February 19, 2023
Received: December 2, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.