Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, 2019.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC, Atlanta, GA2019
- Antimicrobial use in European acute care hospitals: results from the second point prevalence survey (PPS) of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use, 2016 to 2017.Euro Surveill. 2018; 23https://doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.23.46.1800393
- Best practice statement on urologic procedures and antimicrobial prophylaxis.J Urol. 2020; 203: 351-356https://doi.org/10.1097/JU.0000000000000509
- New WHO recommendations on preoperative measures for surgical site infection prevention: an evidence-based global perspective.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: e276-e287https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(16)30398-X
- Centers for disease control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 784-791https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0904
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for patients undergoing transurethral resection of the prostate.Urology. 1996; 47: 852-856https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(96)00066-0
- Prospective comparative study of single dose vs 3-day administration of antimicrobial prophylaxis in minimum incision endoscopic radical prostatectomy.Int J Urol. 2008; 15: 328-331https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2008.02001.x
- A single dose of intraoperative antibiotics is sufficient to prevent urinary tract infection during ureteroscopy.J Endourol. 2016; 30: 63-68https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2015.0511
- American urological association antibiotic best practice statement and ureteroscopy: does antibiotic stewardship help?.J Endourol. 2018; 32: 283-288https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2017.0796
- Variations in perioperative antibiotic prescriptions among academic urologists after ambulatory endoscopic urologic surgery: impact on infection rates and validation of 2019 best practice statement.Urology. 2020; 146: 101-106https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2020.07.049
- Assessment of guideline discordance with antimicrobial prophylaxis best practices for common urologic procedures.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e186248https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.6248
- Association of duration and type of surgical prophylaxis with antimicrobial-associated adverse events.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 590-598https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2019.0569
- Antibiotic prescribing choices and their comparative C. difficile infection risks: a longitudinal case-cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 836-844https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa124
- The benefits and harms of antibiotic prophylaxis for urinary tract infection in older adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 73: e782-e791https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciab116
- Use and outcomes of extended antibiotic prophylaxis in urological cancer surgery.J Urol. 2014; 192: 425-429https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2014.02.096
- Antibiotic overuse is a major risk factor for clostridium difficile infection in surgical patients.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1254-1257https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2017.158
- Identifying higher-volume antibiotic outpatient prescribers using publicly available medicare part D data - United States, 2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2022; 71: 202-205https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7106a3
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Financial support: This work was supported by the Merck Investigator Studies Program, the Iowa City VA Health Care System Department of Pharmacy Services and the Veterans Health Administration Health Services Research and Development Service (BCL, CIN 13-412; DJL CDA 16-204).