Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The new era of informed consent: getting to a reasonable-patient standard through shared decision making.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2063-2064https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.3070
- Interventions to improve patient comprehension in informed consent for medical and surgical procedures: an updated systematic review.Med Decis Making. 2020; 40: 119-143https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X19896348
- Patients’ assessment and recall of surgical information after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Dig Surg. 1998; 15: 669-673https://doi.org/10.1159/000018675
- Informed consent for abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: The patient's perspective.J Vasc Surg. 2008; 48: 296-302https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2008.03.037
- Quality of informed consent for invasive procedures.Int J Qual Health Care. 2008; 20: 352-357https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzn025
- Interventions to promote informed consent for patients undergoing surgical and other invasive health care procedures.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009445.pub2
- A survey on patients’ knowledge and expectations during informed consent for spinal surgery: can we improve the shared decision-making process?.Patient Saf Surg. 2016; 10: 15https://doi.org/10.1186/s13037-016-0103-z
- Use and effectiveness of the teachback method in patient education and health outcomes.Fed Pract Health Care Prof VA DoD PHS. 2019; 36: 284-289
- Enhancement of surgical informed consent by addition of repeat back: a multicenter, randomized controlled clinical trial.Ann Surg. 2010; 252 (Accessed January 7, 2022)https://journals.lww.com/annalsofsurgery/Fulltext2010/07000/Enhancement_of_Surgical_Informed_Consent_by.8.aspx
- Patient understanding of benefits, risks, and alternatives to screening colonoscopy.Am Med. 2013; 45: 83-89
- Evaluation of patient's understanding and recall of the consent process after open inguinal hernia repairs.Int J Surg. 2012; 10: 5-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2011.10.003
- Assessing adequacy of informed consent for elective surgery by student-administered interview.ANZ J Surg. 2019; 89: 677-682https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.15214
- Gender differences in the utilization of health care services.J Fam Pr. 2000; 49: 147-152
- Patient education and informed consent in head and neck surgery.Arch Otolaryngol Neck Surg. 2002; 128: 1269-1274https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.128.11.1269
- Chirurgie de l’hypertrophie bénigne de prostate et information des patients : qu’est ce que les patients comprennent et retiennent ? [Benign prostate hypertrophy surgery and patient information: what is it that patients understand and retain?].Prog En Urol [Prog Urol]. 2020; 30: 97-104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.purol.2019.11.008
- Gaining the patient perspective on pelvic floor disorders’ surgical adverse events.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220: 185.e1-185.e10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2018.10.033
- Preferences for preoperative education: a qualitative study of the patient perspective.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27 (Accessed January 15, 2022)
- Patient satisfaction and informed consent for surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 181.e1-181.e7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2017.03.020
- Nursing students use of teachback to improve patients’ knowledge and satisfaction: A quality improvement project.J Prof Nurs. 2020; 36: 70-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2019.08.005
- Preoperative anxiety in ambulatory surgery: The impact of an empathic patient-centered approach on psychological and clinical outcomes.Patient Educ Couns. 2016; 99: 733-738https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2015.11.016
- Assessing Readability: are urogynecologic patient education materials at an appropriate reading level?.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2019; 25 (Accessed February 2, 2022)https://journals.lww.com/fpmrs/Fulltext/2019/03000/Assessing_Readability__Are_Urogynecologic_Patient.12.aspx
- Beyond consent—improving understanding in surgical patients.Am J Surg. 2012; 203: 112-120https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2010.12.010
- Effect of visual aids during surgical consents on patient understanding and satisfaction.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020; 26: 746-750https://doi.org/10.1097/SPV.0000000000000703
- Predictors of comprehension during surgical informed consent.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 210 (Accessed February 2, 2022)https://journals.lww.com/journalacs/Fulltext/2010/06000/Predictors_of_Comprehension_during_Surgical.5.aspxhttps://journals.lww.com/fpmrs/Fulltext/2019/03000/Assessing_Readability__Are_Urogynecologic_Patient.12.aspx
- Informed consent: what do patients really want to know?.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 68: 1849-1852https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2010.04.004
- Making a decision about surgery for female urinary incontinence: a qualitative study of women's views.Int Urogynecology J. 2021; 32: 127-133https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-020-04383-5
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Authors Contributions: AS performed data collection, data analysis, wrote and edited the manuscript, and is the corresponding author. PD and WC wrote and edited the manuscript. JL performed data analysis. JK performed data collection. KW edited the manuscript. NA edited the manuscript, approved the final version, and is the article guarantor.
Funding Support: None.
Conflict of Interest: All Authors have no conflict of interest.
Informed Consent: Verbal informed consent was received prior to initiating the telephone survey.
Prior Presentations: This project was presented at the SWIU clinical mentoring meeting in February 2022, SUFU winter meeting in February 2022, and AUA annual meeting in May 2022.