Cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of cancer worldwide and associated with substantial morbidity. Here, we chronicle how the relationship between smoking and the development of bladder cancer came to be understood. We describe the evidence that established the causal effect of smoking cigarettes on bladder cancer and highlight the scientists involved in these discoveries. Using Surgeon General's Reports, from the mid-1900’s to 2020, we provide a historical narrative of the discovery of the link between cigarette smoking and bladder cancer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tobacco use–United States, 1900-1999.JAMA. 1999; 282 (PMID:10605963): 2202-2204
- Workers died of dyes: the discovery of occupational bladder cancers.Urology. 2021; 154 (Epub 2021 May 17. PMID:34010678): 4-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2021.05.010
- Association between smoking and risk of bladder cancer among men and women.JAMA. 2011; 306: 737-745
- Angel H Roffo: the forgotten father of experimental tobacco carcinogenesis.Bull World Health Organ. 2006; 84: 494-496https://doi.org/10.2471/blt.06.031682
- Papillary carcinoma of the bladder in mice, obtained after peroral administration of tobacco tar.Cancer. 1955; 8: 679-682https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(1955)8:4<679::AID-CNCR2820080405>3.0.CO;2-W
- Effect on mice of oral painting of cigarette-smoke condensate.JNCI. 1959; 23: 529-534https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/23.3.529
- The association of smoking with cancer of the urinary bladder in humans.AMA Arch Intern Med. 1956; 98: 129-135https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1956.00250260001001
- Effects of sex hormones on development of urinary bladder tumours in rats induced by N-butyl-N-(4-hydroxybutyl) nitrosamine.Urol Res. 1975; 3: 73-79
- Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service.US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, 1964
- The effect of cigarette advertising bans on consumption: a meta-analysis.J Advertising. 2008; 37: 7-18https://doi.org/10.2753/joa0091-3367370201
- Bladder cancer induction by aromatic amines: role of N-hydroxy metabolites.Science. 1970; 167 (PMID:5411180): 992-993https://doi.org/10.1126/science.167.3920.992
- Concentration of mutagens from urine by absorption with the nonpolar resin XAD-2: cigarette smokers have mutagenic urine.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1977; 74 (PMID:333441PMCID: PMC431630): 3555-3559https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.74.8.3555
- Specific induction of bladder cancer in mice by butyl-(4-hydroxybutyl)-nitrosamine and the effects of hormonal modifications on the sex difference in response.Eur J Cancer. 1972; 8: 587-594
- The Health Consequences of Smoking: Cancer: A Report of the Surgeon General.US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, 1982
- The 1990 report of the surgeon general: the health benefits of smoking cessation.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990; 142: 993-994https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm/142.5.993
- Smoking and mortality: a prospective study.Cancer. 1970; 25: 105-112
- Persistence of urothelial carcinoma of the bladder risk among former smokers: results from a contemporary, prospective cohort study.Urol Oncol. 2014; 32: 25.e21-25.e25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2012.09.001
- Tobacco-specific carcinogens induce hypermethylation, DNA adducts, and DNA damage in bladder cancer.Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa). 2017; 10: 588-597https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-17-0198
- Public Health Service. Office of the Surgeon General, issuing body. | National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (U.S.). Office on Smoking and Health, issuing body. Smoking Cessation: A Report of the Surgeon General.A Report of the Surgeon General. 2020 (Published online)
- FDA requires new health warnings for cigarette packages and advertisements.U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2020 (Retrieved March 31, 2022, from)https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-requires-new-health-warnings-cigarette-packages-and-advertisements
Published online: August 13, 2022
Accepted: August 3, 2022
Received: July 1, 2022
Funding Support: This study was supported in part by a Cancer Center Support Grant (P30 CA008748 to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center from the National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute. RSM is supported by a National Cancer Institute (K08 CA259452-01A1).
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.