Low complexity cases of neonatal hydrometrocolpos from imperforate hymen are typically treated with hymenotomy or hymenectomy. Although this is commonly performed in the operating room, bedside management is also safe and effective. We present a case of prenatally diagnosed, simple hydrometrocolpos treated via bedside hymenotomy on the first day of life. The patient received periprocedural antibiotics prior to the procedure and had full resolution of hydrometrocolpos without any complication or need for further intervention. Early intervention and administration of periprocedural antibiotics allowed for safe management of this condition without the risks and resources of treatment in the operating room.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hydrometrocolpos.Ann Surg. 1962; 155: 558-571https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-196204000-00013
- Hydrometrocolpos.(editors)in: Puri P Höllwarth Michael Pediatric Surgery: Diagnosis and Management. Springer, Berlin2009: 957-966https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-69560-8_96
- Spontaneous opening of congenital imperforate hymen.J Pediatr. 1975; 87: 768-770https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-3476(75)80306-4
- Life-threatening acute renal failure due to imperforate hymen in an infant.Pediatr Int. 2012; 54: 280-282https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-200X.2011.03422.x
- Management and prevention of postoperative complications in a neonate with a symptomatic imperforate hymen.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2019; 32 (10.1016/j.jpag.2019.04.003): 429-431
- Radiological diagnosis of neonatal hydrometrocolpos- a case report.J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10: 18-19https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/18537.7510
- Experience with neonatal hydrometrocolpos in the Niger Delta area of Nigeria: upsurge or increased recognition?.Afr J Paediatr Surg. 2016; 13: 161-165https://doi.org/10.4103/0189-6725.194666
- Congenital imperforate hymen and its life-threatening consequences in the neonatal period.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2006; 19: 99-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2006.01.005
- Hydrometrocolpos—diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmas.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2008; 21: 317-321https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2007.12.011
- Fetal hydrometrocolpos and congenital imperforate hymen: prenatal and postnatal imaging features.J Clin Ultrasound. 2018; 46: 549-552https://doi.org/10.1002/jcu.22588
- Prenatal ultrasonographic diagnosis of hydrometrocolpos.J Med Ultrasound. 2010; 18: 81-84https://doi.org/10.1016/s0929-6441(10)60012-4
- Newborn imperforate hymen resulting in hydronephrosis.J Pediatr. 2019; 207: 258https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.12.051
- Neurodevelopmental implications of the general anesthesia in neonate and infants.Exp Neurol. 2015; 272 (10.1016/j.expneurol.2015.03.028): 50-60
- A study of time-dependent operating room fees and how to save $100 000 by using time-saving products.Am J Cosmetic Surg. 2005; 22: 25-34https://doi.org/10.1177/074880680502200104
Published online: November 24, 2021
Accepted: November 13, 2021
Received: November 4, 2021
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Funding Support: There was no funding for this study
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.