Abbreviations:aOR (Adjusted odds ratio), AUA (American Urological Association), NHIS (National Health Interview Survey), OR (Odds ratio), PCa (Prostate cancer), PSA (Prostate-specific antigen), US (United States of America)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2019.Published online 2019 (Available at:)https://www.cancer.org/research/cancer-facts-statistics/all-cancer-facts-figures/cancer-facts-figures-2019.htmlDate accessed: April 17, 2020
- Recent patterns of prostate-specific antigen testing for prostate cancer screening in the United States.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1040-1042https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.0340
H. Ballentine Carter, Peter C. Albertsen, Michael J. Barry, et al. American Urological Association - Early Detection of Prostate Cancer. Available at: https://www.auanet.org/guidelines/early-detection-of-prostate-cancer-(2013-reviewed-and-validity-confirmed-2015). Accessed January 1, 2018.
Gates GJ. LGBT Demographics: Comparisons among population-based surveys. Published online September 1, 2014. Available at: https://escholarship.org/uc/item/0kr784fx. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Comparison of health and health risk factors between lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults and heterosexual adults in the United States: results from the national health interview survey.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1344-1351https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.3432
- Health care use, health behaviors, and medical conditions among individuals in same-sex and opposite-sex partnerships.Med Care. 2016; 54: 547-554https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000529
- Sexual minority health disparities: an examination of age-related trends across adulthood in a national cross-sectional sample.Ann Epidemiol. 2019; 31: 20-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2019.01.001
- Current state of knowledge about cancer in lesbians, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2018; 34: 3-11https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2017.11.003
- Modifiers of cancer screening prevention among sexual and gender minorities in the behavioral risk factor surveillance system.J Am Coll Radiol. 2019; 16: 607-620https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.02.042
- Sexual Orientation and testing for prostate and colorectal cancers among men in california.Med Care. 2008; 46: 1240-1248https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e31817d697f
- MP77-18 impact of sexual orientation on contemporary rates of prostate cancer screening.J Urol. 2018; 199https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2018.02.2606
Blewett L, Rivera Drew J, King M, Williams K. IPUMS Health Surveys: National Health Interview Survey, Version 6.4. Published 2019. Available at: https://nhis.ipums.org. Accessed 10 March 2020.
- Cancer and men who have sex with men: a systematic review.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: e545-e553https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70347-9
- Diagnostic and outcome differences between heterosexual and nonheterosexual men treated for prostate cancer.Urology. 2013; 82: 565-571https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2013.04.022
- Gay men and prostate cancer: invisible diversity.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 2593-2596https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.00.968
- Men's perspectives of prostate cancer screening: a systematic review of qualitative studies.PLoS One. 2017; 12 (Waller J, ed.)e0188258https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188258
- “Afectados por el tacto”: sentidos atribuidos por hombres a las prácticas de prevención del cáncer de próstata.Salud Colect. 2020; 16: e2176https://doi.org/10.18294/sc.2020.2176
- “There are too many gay categories now”: discursive constructions of gay masculinity.Psychol Men Masculinity. 2017; 18: 321-330https://doi.org/10.1037/men0000057
- Prostate cancer screening patterns among sexual and gender minority individuals.Eur Urol. Published online November 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.11.009
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) screening for prostate cancer: revisiting the evidence.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1866https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.4914
- Factors influencing men's decisions regarding prostate cancer screening: a qualitative study.J Community Health. 2011; 36: 839-844https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-011-9383-5
- Care delivery, patient experiences, and health outcomes among sexual and gender minority patients with cancer and survivors: a scoping review.Cancer. 2019; 125: 4371-4379https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.32388
- Baseline prostate-specific antigen testing at a young age.Eur Urol. 2012; 61: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2011.07.067
- Intersection of living in a rural versus urban area and race/ethnicity in explaining access to health care in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 1463-1469https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303212
Funding: DS and JS are supported by The Frederick J. and Theresa Dow Wallace Fund of the New York Community Trust. JS is supported by the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation Physician Scientist Training Award.