Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in U.S. Healthcare: A Chartbook.2008https://www.commonwealthfund.org/sites/default/files/documents/___media_files_publications_chartbook_2008_mar_racial_and_ethnic_disparities_in_u_s__health_care__a_chartbook_mead_racialethnicdisparities_chartbook_1111_pdf.pdf(Accessed March 15, 2021)
- Race, ethnicity, culture, and disparities in health care.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 667-669
- Health care disparities in urologic oncology: a systematic review.Urology. 2020; 136: 9-18
- Racial disparities in urologic health care.J Natl Med Assoc. 2010; 102: 108-117
- Association of black race with prostate cancer–specific and other-cause mortality.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 975-983
- Racial disparity in delivering definitive therapy for intermediate/high-risk localized prostate cancer: the impact of facility features and socioeconomic characteristics.Eur Urol. 2018; 73: 445-451
Cancer ZTEoP. African Americans and prostate cancer. Available at: https://zerocancer.org/learn/about-prostate-cancer/risks/african-americans-prostate-cancer/. 2021. Accessed March 15, 2021.
- Increasing prostate cancer awareness in African American men.Oncol Nurs Forum. 1997; 24: 91-95
- The demographic burden of urologic diseases in America.Urol Clin North Am. 2009; 36 (11-v)
- The medical expenditure panel survey: a national information resource to support healthcare cost research and inform policy and practice.Med Care. 2009; 47: S44-S50
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.JAMA. 2013; 310: 2191-2194
- Examining racial and ethnic trends and differences in annual healthcare expenditures among a nationally representative sample of adults with arthritis from 2008 to 2016.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 531
- Racial disparities in medical spending: healthcare expenditures for black and white households (2013–2015).Race Soc Problems. 2018; 10: 113-133
- Racial disparities in the content of primary care office visits.J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 20: 599-603
- Racial disparities in the management of acne: evidence from the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, 2005–2014.J Dermatol Treat. 2018; 29: 287-289
- Racial disparities in erectile dysfunction among participants in the California men's health study.J Sex Med. 2009; 6: 3433-3439
- Racial disparities in the surgical management of stress incontinence among female Medicare beneficiaries.J Urol. 2007; 177: 1846-1850
- Utilization of surgical procedures and racial disparity in the treatment of urinary incontinence after prostatectomy.Neurourol Urodyn. 2016; 35: 733-737
- Racial and ethnic disparities in prescription coverage and medication use.Health Care Financ Rev. 2003; 25: 63-76
- Racial disparities in hospitalizations for ambulatory care–sensitive conditions.Am J Prevent Med. 2010; 38: 381-388
Hostetter, M. & Klein, S. The Commonwealth Foundation. Understanding and ameliorating medical mistrust among black Americans. 2021. Available at:https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/newsletter-article/2021/jan/medical-mistrust-among-black-americans#:~:text=Trust%20in%20health%20care%20among,it's%20worse%20among%20Black%20Americans.&text=In%20an%20October%202020%20poll,prevent%20people%20from%20getting%20care. Accessed June 2, 2021.
Conflict of Interest: Dr Gross is a consultant for Coloplast. Other authors have no conflict of interest.
Financial Disclosure: This research study was not supported by private industry.