Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
United States Census Bureau. Available at:https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?q=UnitedStates&g=0100000US&tid=ACSDP1Y2017.DP05&tp=false&hidePreview=true. Accessed January 17, 2021.
American Urological Association. The state of the urology workforce and practice in the United States. 2019:5.https://www.auanet.org/common/pdf/research/census/State-Urology-Workforce-Practice-US.pdf. Accessed January 17, 2021.
Association AU. Urologists in training, residents and fellows in the United States. 2019. https://www.auanet.org/common/pdf/research/census/2019_Resident_and_Fellow_Census_Book.pdf. Accessed January 17, 2021.
Underrepresented in medicine definition | AAMC. https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/diversity-inclusion/underrepresented-in-medicine. Accessed January 17, 2021.
- Patient-centered communication, ratings of care, and concordance of patient and physician race.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 139: 907-915https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-139-11-200312020-00009
- Race, gender, and partnership in the patient-physician relationship.JAMA. 1999; 282: 583-589https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.6.583
M K. The role of black and Hispanic physicians in providing health care for underserved populations. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:1305-1310.
- Implications of research staff demographics for psychological science.Am Psychol. 2018; 73: 639-650https://doi.org/10.1037/amp0000199
- Predictors of early faculty attrition at one Academic Medical Center.BMC Med Educ. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-14-27
- Medical school faculty discontent: prevalence and predictors of intent to leave academic careers.BMC Med Educ. 2007; 7https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-7-37
- Race and surgical residency: results from a national survey of 4339 US general surgery residents.Ann Surg. 2013; 257: 782-787https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e318269d2d0
- Why are a quarter of faculty considering leaving academic medicine? A study of their perceptions of institutional culture and intentions to leave at 26 representative U.S. medical schools.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 859-869https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182582b18
- Race, disadvantage and faculty experiences in academic medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 1363-1369https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-010-1478-7
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion that matter.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: e25https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmpv2022639
Blackstock U. Why black doctors like me are leaving academic medicine—STAT. Stat news. Accessed January 17, 2021.https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/16/black-doctors-leaving-faculty-positions-academic-medical-centers/. Accessed January 17, 2021
- Why do faculty leave? Reasons for attrition of women and minority faculty from a medical school: Four-year results.J Women's Heal. 2008; 17: 1111-1118https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2007.0582
- Student body racial and ethnic composition and diversity-related outcomes in US medical schools.J Am Med Assoc. 2008; 300: 1135-1145https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.10.1135
Why diverse teams are smarter. https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-diverse-teams-are-smarter. Accessed February 2, 2021.
Diversity presentation by Scott Page. https://www.skidmore.edu/diversity/init1/scott-page.php. Accessed February 2, 2021.
Is there a payoff from top-team diversity? | McKinsey. https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/organization/our-insights/is-there-a-payoff-from-top-team-diversity#. Accessed February 2, 2021.
ACGME Data Resource Book.https://www.acgme.org/About-Us/Publications-and-Resources/Graduate-Medical-Education-Data-Resource-Book Accessed February 2, 2021.
- Women in Urology Residency, 1978-2013: a critical look at gender representation in our specialty.Urology. 2016; 92: 20-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2015.12.092
- The journey of women in urology: the perspective of a female urology resident.Urology. 2013; 81: 3-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2012.07.050
Society of Academic Urologists | 2021 Residency Match Changes. https://sauweb.org/match-program/changes.aspx Accessed February 2, 2021.
Urology and specialty matches. American Urological Association.https://www.auanet.org/education/auauniversity/for-residents/urology-and-specialty-matches. Accessed February 14, 2021.
- Program directors’ criteria for selection into urology residency.Urology. 2015; 85: 731-736https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2014.12.041
Pak JS, Pagano MJ, Cooper KL, Mckiernan JM, Badalato GM. Education prevalence of research publication misrepresentation among urology residency applicants and its effect on match success. 2016. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2016.08.055
- Interviewed while Black.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 2401-2404https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmp2023999
- Assessing the female and underrepresented minority medical student experience in the urology match: where do we fall short?.Urology. 2021; 147: 57-63https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2020.08.076
- Decisions, decisions: how program diversity influences residency program choice.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 213: 294-305https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.04.026
Association of American Colleges & Universities. Board statement on diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. 2013. https://www.aacu.org/about/statements/2013/diversity. Accessed March 17, 2021.
- Predictors of a successful urology resident using medical student application materials.Urology. 2017; 108: 22-28https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2017.06.046
- Validity of the MCAT in predicting performance in the first two years of medical school.J Med Educ. 1984; 59: 455-464https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-198406000-00001
Leger, K. F. (1997). Characteristics of MCAT examinees: 1996. Washington DC: Association of American Medical Colleges.
- Validity of MCAT scores for predicting clerkship performance of medical students grouped by sex and Ethnicity.Acad Med. 1999; 74: s41-s44https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199910000-00035
- Prediction of students’ performances on licensing examinations using age, race, sex, undergraduate GPAs, and MCAT scores.Acad Med. 2000; 75https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200010001-00009
- Racial disparities in medical student membership in the alpha omega alpha honor society.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 659-665https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9623
- Science, verbal, or quantitative skills: which is the most important predictor of physician competence?.Educ Psychol Meas. 1992; 52: 395-406https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164492052002015
- Assessing the validity of the updated medical college admission test.Acad Med. 1994; 69: 394-401https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199405000-00017
Case SM, Becker, DF, Swanson, DB. Performance of men and women on NBME Part I and Part II: the more things change.... Acad Med. 1993;68(suppl): S25-S27.
- The validity of the medical college admission test for predicting performance in the first two years of medical school.Acad Med. 1996; 71: s83-s85https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199610000-00052
- Evaluating the predictive validity of MCAT scores across diverse applicant groups.Acad Med. 1998; 73: 1095-1106https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199810000-00021
- Validity of the medical college admission test for predicting medical school performance.Acad Med. 2005; 80: 910-917https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200510000-00010
- Performance on the National Board of Medical Examiners Part I Examination by Men and Women of Different Race and Ethnicity.J Am Med Assoc. 1994; 272: 674-679https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03520090038016
Flowers K. (1996). Characteristics of MCAT examinees: 1994-1995. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges.
- USMLE Step 1 scoring changes and the urology residency application process: Program Directors’ perspectives.Urology. 2020; 145: 79-82https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2020.08.033
Equity Mindedness | Center for Urban Education | USC. https://cue.usc.edu/about/equity/equity-mindedness/. Accessed March 24, 2021.
Financial Disclosure: The authors have no disclosures relevant to this work.