Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A proactive response to prescription opioid abuse.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1480-1485https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsr1601307
- Prescription opioid analgesics commonly unused after surgery: a systematic review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 1066-1071https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0831
- New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152e170504https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0504
- Wide variation and excessive dosage of opioid prescriptions for common general surgical procedures.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 709-714https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000001993
- Reduction in opioid prescribing through evidence-based prescribing guidelines.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 285-287https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.4436
- America's opioid epidemic: supply and demand considerations.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1667-1674https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002388
- Wide variation in opioid prescribing after urological surgery in tertiary care centers.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 262-274https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2018.08.035
- Excessive opioid prescribing after major urologic procedures.Urology. 2019; 123: 101-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2018.06.057
- Overprescription of postoperative narcotics: a look at postoperative pain medication delivery, consumption and disposal in urological practice.J Urol. 2011; 185: 551-555https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2010.09.088
- Unused opioid analgesics and drug disposal following outpatient dental surgery: a randomized controlled trial.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 168: 328-334https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.08.016
- Results of a prospective, multicenter initiative aimed at developing opioid-prescribing guidelines after surgery.Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 457-468https://doi.org/10.1097/sla.0000000000002919
- Mobility after hospital discharge as a marker for 30-day readmission.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68: 805-810https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gls252
- Large reduction in opioid prescribing by a multipronged behavioral intervention after major urologic surgery.Cancer. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.33200
PROMIS. Available at: http://www.healthmeasures.net/explore-measurement-systems/promis. Accessed August 22, 2019.
University of North Carolina PRO-Core. Available at: https://pro.unc.edu/. Accessed October 18, 2019.
Health measures: transforming how health is measured. Available at: http://www.healthmeasures.net/. Accessed October 3, 2019.
- Ambulatory surgery in the United States, 2006.Natl Health Stat Report. 2009; 11: 1-25
- National variation in opioid prescription fills and long-term use in opioid naïve patients after urological surgery.J Urol. May 2019; https://doi.org/10.1097/JU.0000000000000343
- Postoperative opioid prescribing practices and evidence-based guidelines in bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 2030-2036https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-019-03821-8
- Opioid-prescribing patterns, storage, handling, and disposal in postoperative pediatric urology patients.J Pediatr Urol. 2019; 15: 260.e1-260.e7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2019.02.009
- Statewide implementation of postoperative opioid prescribing guidelines.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 680-682https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmc1905045
- An educational intervention decreases opioid prescribing after general surgical operations.Ann Surg. 2018; 267: 468-472https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002198
- Recommendations for opioid prescribing after endourological and minimally invasive urological surgery: an expert panel consensus.J Urol. 2020; 203 (NLM (Medline)): 151-158https://doi.org/10.1097/JU.0000000000000514
- Patient satisfaction and pain control using an opioid-sparing postoperative pathway.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 229: 316-322https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2019.04.020
Variation in postoperative opioid prescribing provides motivation for a more standardized approach - Mayo Clinic. Available at:https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/urology/news/variation-in-postoperative-opioid-prescribing-provides-motivation-for-a-more-standardized-approach/mac-20450573. Accessed October 27, 2020.
- The impact of an educational program on patient practices for safe use, storage, and disposal of opioids at a comprehensive cancer center.Oncologist. 2017; 22: 115-121https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2016-0266
North Carolina Medical Board. The Strengthen Opioid Misuse Prevention (STOP) act of 2017: bill summary. Available at:https://www.ncmedboard.org/images/uploads/article_images/The_STOP_Act_summary-OnLetterhead.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2020.
Deterra drug deactivation system - Deterra System. Available at: https://deterrasystem.com/. Accessed August 22, 2019.
- Effect of drug disposal bag provision on proper disposal of unused opioids by families of pediatric surgical patients.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173e191695https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.1695
- A pathway for developing postoperative opioid prescribing best practices.Ann Surg. 2019; 1https://doi.org/10.1097/sla.0000000000003434
Funding disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.