Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
What is Health Literacy? | Health Literacy | CDC. Published October 23, 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/learn/index.html. Accessed March 18, 2020
Toolkit for Making Written Material Clear and Effective | CMS. Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/WrittenMaterialsToolkit. Accessed March 18, 2020
Mamedova S, Sparks D, Hoyer KM, Ralph J. Adult education attainment and assessment scores: a cross-national Comparison.:41.
- Making Health Communication Programs Work : A Planner's Guide.U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, [Office of Cancer Communications, National Cancer Institute], , 2002 (Revised December 2001[Bethesda, Md.]Available at:)Accessed March 18, 2020)
- Assessing readability of patient education materials: current role in orthopaedics.Clin Orthop. 2010; 468: 2572-2580https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-010-1380-y
- Readability of patient education materials available at the point of care.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1165-1170https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-012-2046-0
- Readability of patient information pamphlets in urogynecology.Female Pelvic Med Reconstruct Surg. 2015; 21: 63-65https://doi.org/10.1097/SPV.0000000000000152
- Readability of patient education materials in ophthalmology: a single-institution study and systematic review.BMC Ophthalmol. 2016; 16https://doi.org/10.1186/s12886-016-0315-0
- Readability and quality of wikipedia pages on neurosurgical topics.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018; 166: 66-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2018.01.021
- Assessment of readability, quality and popularity of online information on ureteral stents.World J Urol. 2018; 36: 985-992https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-018-2179-9
- An evaluation of the readability, quality, and accuracy of online health information regarding the treatment of hypospadias.J Pediatr Urol. 2019; 15: 40.e1-40.e6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2018.08.020
- Educational material on prostate cancer screening is overly complex and fails to meet recommended layperson readability Guidelines.Urology. 2020; 135: 1-3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2019.10.006
- Readability assessment of online urology patient education materials.J Urol. 2013; 189: 1048-1052https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2012.08.255
- Readability assessment of online patient education materials provided by the European Association of Urology.Int Urol Nephrol. 2017; 49: 2111-2117https://doi.org/10.1007/s11255-017-1695-7
- The Technique of Clear Writing.McGraw-Hill, 1971 (Available at: https://books.google.com/books?id=YqMRtAEACAAJ. Accessed March 18, 2020)
- Derivation of New Readability Formulas (Automated Readability Index, Fog Count and Flesch Reading Ease Formula) for Navy Enlisted Personnel.Defense Technical Information Center, 1975https://doi.org/10.21236/ADA006655
- A computer readability formula designed for machine scoring.J Appl Psychol. 1975; 60: 283-284https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076540
- Readability Revisited: The New Dale-Chall Readability Formula.Brookline Books, 1995Accessed March 18, 2020)
- The use of readability formulas in health care.Psychol Health Med. 1996; 1: 7-28https://doi.org/10.1080/13548509608400003
- Computerized versus hand-scored health literacy tools: a comparison of Simple Measure of Gobbledygook (SMOG) and Flesch-Kincaid in printed patient education materials.J Med Libr Assoc. 2018; 106https://doi.org/10.5195/JMLA.2018.262
- Write2me: using patient feedback to improve postconsultation urology clinic letters.BMJ Open Qual. 2019; 8https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjoq-2019-000721
- Readability of pelvic floor dysfunction questionnaires.Neurourol Urodyn. 2020; 39: 813-818https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.24286
- Readability and understandability of andrology questionnaires.Turk J Urol. 2019; 45: 171-176https://doi.org/10.5152/tud.2018.75272
- Improving patient education materials: a practical algorithm from development to validation.Curr Urol. 2019; 13: 64-69https://doi.org/10.1159/000499291
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.