Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prostate cancer screening in the randomized prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial: mortality results after 13 years of follow-up.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 125-132https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr500
- Screening and prostate cancer mortality: results of the European Randomised Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer (ERSPC) at 13 years of follow-up.Lancet. 2014; 384: 2027-2035https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60525-0
- Results of conservative management of clinically localized prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 242-248https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199401273300403
- Outcomes of localized prostate cancer following conservative management.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1202-1209https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1348
- 20-year outcomes following conservative management of clinically localized prostate cancer.JAMA. 2005; 293: 2095-2101https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.17.2095
- Comprehensive comparison of health-related quality of life after contemporary therapies for localized prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 557-566https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.20.2.557
- Quality of life and satisfaction with outcome among prostate-cancer survivors.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 1250-1261https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa074311
- Quality-of-life outcomes in men treated for localized prostate cancer.JAMA. 1995; 273: 129-135https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.273.2.129
- Quality-of-life effects of prostate-specific antigen screening.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 595-605https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1201637
- Time trends and local variation in primary treatment of localized prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1117-1123https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.0133
- Contemporary use of initial active surveillance among men in Michigan with low-risk prostate cancer.Eur Urol. 2015; 67: 44-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2014.08.024
- Long-term follow-up of a large active surveillance cohort of patients with prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 33: 272-277https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2014.55.1192
- Active surveillance for prostate cancer: a systematic review of the literature.Eur Urol. 2012; 62: 976-983https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2012.05.072
- Intermediate and longer-term outcomes from a prospective active-surveillance program for favorable-risk prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 3379-3385https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2015.62.5764
- 10-year outcomes after monitoring, surgery, or radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1415-1424https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1606220
- A roadmap for improving the management of favorable risk prostate cancer.J Urol. 2017; 198: 1220-1222https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2017.07.085
- Appropriateness criteria for active surveillance of prostate cancer.J Urol. 2017; 197: 67-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.07.005
- Calculating life expectancy to inform prostate cancer screening and treatment decisions.BJU Int. 2017; 120: 9-11https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.13812
- Comorbidity-adjusted life expectancy: a new tool to inform recommendations for optimal screening strategies.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 667-676https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-159-10-201311190-00005
Prostate Cancer (Version 2.2019). Network NCC. Available at:https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/prostate.pdf. 2019. Accessed July 14, 2019.
- Radical prostatectomy versus observation for localized prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 203-213https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1113162
- Follow-up of prostatectomy versus observation for early prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 132-142https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1615869
- A randomized trial comparing radical prostatectomy with watchful waiting in early prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 781-789https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa012794
- Radical prostatectomy or watchful waiting in early prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 932-942https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1311593
- Radical prostatectomy or watchful waiting in prostate cancer—29-year follow-up.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2319-2329https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1807801
- Survival following primary androgen deprivation therapy among men with localized prostate cancer.JAMA. 2008; 300: 173-181https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.2.173
- Cost comparison between watchful waiting with active surveillance and active treatment of clinically localized prostate cancer.Urology. 2010; 76: 703-707https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2009.12.071
- Watchful waiting and factors predictive of secondary treatment of localized prostate cancer.J Urol. 2004; 171: 1111-1116https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000113300.74132.8b
- Geographic and socioeconomic variation in the treatment of prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7881-7888https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.08.755
Funding: The Michigan Urological Surgery Improvement Collaborative is supported by the by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan as part of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Value Partnerships Program.
Author Contributions: U.S., J.J.T., J.Q., and A.K.G. conceived the study and analyses; J.Q. performed data processing and data analysis with assistance from U.S., J.J.T., A.K.G., and all other authors; U.S., J.J.T., J.Q., and A.K.G. wrote the manuscript. All authors discussed results, commented, edited and agreed on the submission of the manuscript.