To evaluate whether total serum PSA, free-PSA ratio and PSA density have similar diagnostic properties for detecting prostate cancer (PCa) and clinically-significant (cs) PCa in men with normal testosterone compared to men with low testosterone with a prior negative biopsy.
We conducted a retrospective analysis of 3295 men undergoing a 2-year prostate biopsy following a negative prestudy biopsy in the placebo arm of the Reduction by Dutasteride of PCa Events (REDUCE) study. Men were divided in 2 groups based on testosterone level < or ≥300 ng/dL. Diagnostic properties of total serum PSA, free-PSA ratio, and PSA density to predict PCa and csPCa, defined as Gleason score ≥7, were determined for several thresholds and plotted as receiver operator characteristic curves.
A total of 603 men (18.3%) had low testosterone. The prevalence of PCa and csPCa was 92 (15.3%) and 27 (4.5%), respectively, for low testosterone men compared to 458 (17.0%) and 138 (5.1%), correspondingly, for normal testosterone men. Total PSA, free-PSA ratio and PSA density showed similar sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy to predict PCa and csPCa among low testosterone men compared to normal testosterone men.
Among subjects in a clinical trial with a prior negative biopsy, total PSA, free-PSA ratio and PSA density have comparable diagnostic characteristics for PCa screening in low and normal testosterone men.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Adult-onset hypogonadism.in: Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 91. Elsevier, 2016: 908-926
- Prevalence of symptomatic androgen deficiency in men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 4241-4247
- Longitudinal effects of aging on serum total and free testosterone levels in healthy men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 724-731
- Prevalence of hypogonadism in males aged at least 45 years: the HIM study.Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60: 762-769
- Prevalence and incidence of androgen deficiency in middle-aged and older men: estimates from the massachusetts male aging study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 5920-5926
- Effects of testosterone treatment in older men.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 611-624
- Effect of testosterone treatment on bone mineral density in men over 65 years of age.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 1966-1972
- Testosterone therapy in men with hypogonadism: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2018; 103: 1715-1744
- Adverse events associated with testosterone replacement in middle-aged and older men: a meta-analysis of randomized, placebo-controlled trials.J GerontolA Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 1451-1457
- Incidence of prostate cancer in hypogonadal men receiving testosterone therapy: observations from 5-year median followup of 3 registries.J Urol. 2015; 193: 80-86
- Endogenous and exogenous testosterone and the risk of prostate cancer and increased prostate‐specific antigen (PSA) level: a meta‐analysis.BJU Int. 2016; 118: 731-741
- Evaluation and management of testosterone deficiency: AUA guideline.J Urol. 2018; 200: 423-432
- Outcomes of prostate biopsy in men with hypogonadism prior or during testosterone replacement therapy.Int Braz J Urol. 2015; 41: 1167-1171
- Associations of pretreatment serum total testosterone measurements with pathology-detected Gleason score cancer.Urol Int. 2014; 93: 269-278
- Usefulness of prostate‐specific antigen (PSA) rise as a marker of prostate cancer in men treated with dutasteride: lessons from the REDUCE study.BJU Int. 2012; 109: 1162-1169
- Effect of dutasteride on the risk of prostate cancer.New England J Med. 2010; 362: 1192-1202
- Testosterone and prostate cancer: an historical perspective on a modern myth.Eur Urol. 2006; 50: 935-939
- Serum testosterone and dihydrotestosterone and prostate cancer risk in the placebo arm of the reduction by dutasteride of prostate cancer events trial.Eur Urol. 2012; 62: 757-764
- Low free testosterone and prostate Cancer risk: a collaborative analysis of 20 prospective studies.Eur Urol. 2018; 74: 585-594
- Occult prostate cancer in men with low serum testosterone levels.Jama. 1996; 276: 1904-1906
- Prevalence of prostate cancer among hypogonadal men with prostate-specific antigen levels of 4.0 ng/mL or less.Urology. 2006; 68: 1263-1267
- Is low serum free testosterone a marker for high grade prostate cancer?.J Urol. 2000; 163: 824-827
Published online: November 13, 2019
Accepted: November 4, 2019
Received: July 26, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.