To analyze contemporary urethroplasty trends and urethral stricture etiologies over a 7-year study period among urologists from a large multi-institutional surgical outcomes group.
Review of a multi-institutional, prospectively maintained urethroplasty database was performed on 2098 anterior urethroplasties done between 2010 and 2017 by 10 surgeons. Stricture characteristics, including etiology, length, and anatomic location were analyzed and compared to urethroplasty type over the study period using chi-squared analysis to assess for linear trends within the group and by surgeon.
Average stricture lengths for bulbar (2.8 ± 1.8 cm), penile (3.6 ± 2.6 cm), and penile-bulbar strictures (8.7 ± 5.0) remained stable. The most common stricture etiology was idiopathic/unknown in all study years (63%). In the bulbar urethra, the group performed significantly (1) fewer excisional repairs (−31%) and more substitutional repairs (+78%); (2) of substitutional repairs, more grafts are being placed dorsally (+95%) vs ventrally (−75%) (3) of the bulbar excisional repairs, more are being performed without transection of the bulbar urethra (+430%); and in the penile urethra (4) the fasciocutaneous flap is in decline (−86%), while single-stage dorsal repairs are increasing (+280%).
Anterior urethroplasty techniques continue to evolve in the absence of robust clinical data or randomized controlled trials, with a general movement in this cohort toward an initial dorsal approach for most strictures. Inter- and intrasurgeon variability in the surgical management of similar strictures was noted, and the feasibility of any future randomized controlled trials, without apparent surgical equipoise, must be questioned.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Urethrotomy has a much lower success rate than previously reported.J Urol. 2010; 183: 1859-1862
- Urethroplasty: a geographic disparity in care.J Urol. 2012; 187: 2124-2127
- Assessment of the male urethral reconstruction learning curve.Urology. 2016; 89: 137-142
- Practice patterns in the treatment of urethral stricture among American urologists: a paradigm change?.Urology. 2015; 86: 830-834
- Trends in the management of male urethral stricture disease in the veteran population.Urology. 2014; 84: 1506-1509
- Changing trends in the causes and management of male urethral stricture disease in China: an observational descriptive study from 13 centres.BJU Int. 2015; 116: 938-944
- Stricture recurrence after urethroplasty: a systematic review.J Urol. 2009; 182: 1266-1270
- The long-term results of urethroplasty.J Urol. 2003; 170: 90-92
- Male Urethral Stricture: American Urological Association Guideline.J Urol. 2017; 197: 182-190https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.07.087
- Trends, utilization, and immediate perioperative complications of urethroplasty in the United States: data from the national inpatient sample 2000-2010.Urology. 2015; 85: 1190-1194
- Non-transecting anastomotic bulbar urethroplasty: a preliminary report.BJU Int. 2012; 109: 1090-1094
- A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure.Scan J Stat. 1979; 6: 65-70
- Etiology of urethral stricture disease in the 21st century.J Urol. 2009; 182: 983-987
- Understanding the relationship between chronic systemic disease and lichen sclerosus urethral strictures.J Urol. 2016; 195: 363-368
- Lichen sclerosus and isolated bulbar urethral stricture disease.J Urol. 2014; 192: 775-779
- De novo erectile dysfunction after anterior urethroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BJU Int. 2013; 112: 655-663
- Ventral onlay graft techniques for urethroplasty.Urol Clin North Am. 2002; 29 (vii): 381-387
- The technique of vessel sparing excision and primary anastomosis for proximal bulbous urethral reconstruction.J Urol. 2007; 177: 1799-1802
- Non-transecting techniques reduce sexual dysfunction after anastomotic bulbar urethroplasty: results of a multicenter comparative analysis.J Urol. 2018; 199: 637
- Reconstruction of extensive urethral strictures: circular fasciocutaneous penile flap.J Urol. 1993; 149: 488-491
- Orandi flap for urethral stricture management.in: McAninch JW. Carroll PR. Jordan GH. Traumatic and Reconstructive Urology. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA1996: 595-600
- Long-term follow-up for reconstruction of strictures of the fossa navicularis with a single technique.BJU Int. 2007; 100: 1143-1145
- Urethroplasty for balanitis xerotica obliterans.Br J Urol. 1998; 81: 735-737
- Lichen sclerosus of the male genitalia and urethra: surgical options and results in a multicenter international experience with 215 patients.Eur Urol. 2009; 55: 945-954
- The problems of penile urethroplasty with particular reference to 2-stage reconstructions.J Urol. 2003; 170: 87-89
Published online: March 14, 2019
Accepted: January 3, 2019
Received: December 10, 2018
© 2019 Published by Elsevier Inc.