Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Cuckler GA, Sisko AM, Poisal JA, et al. National health expenditure projections, 2017–26: despite uncertainty, fundamentals primarily drive spending growth. Health Aff. 2018;37:482--492.
- Health spending slowdown is mostly due to economic factors, not structural change in the health care sector.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1399-1406
Blumenthal D, Abrams M, Nuzum R. The affordable care act at 5 years. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:2451--2458.
- The financial effect of value-based purchasing and the hospital readmissions reduction program on safety-net hospitals in 2014: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 427-436
- Medicaid and CHIP: December 2014 Monthly Applications, Eligibility Determinations and Enrollment Report.CMS, Baltimore, MD2015
- Health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act—a progress report.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 275-281
- Hospitals respond to Medicare payment shortfalls by both shifting costs and cutting them, based on market concentration.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1265-1271
- Can hospitals and physicians shift the effects of cuts in Medicare reimbursement to private payers.Health Aff. 2003; (W3-472-9)
- How much do hospitals cost shift? A review of the evidence.Milbank Q. 2011; 89: 90-130
- Aprotinin during coronary-artery bypass grafting and risk of death.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 771-783
McClintock TR, Mossanen M, Shah MA, Wang Y, Chung BI, Chang SL. Charge-to-cost ratio varies among common urologic surgery procedures. Urology Practice. 2018;5:349-350
- Association of robotic-assisted vs laparoscopic radical nephrectomy with perioperative outcomes and health care costs, 2003 to 2015.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1561-1568
- Impact of Massachusetts Health Reform on Inpatient Care Use: was the safety‐net experience different than in the non‐safety‐net.Health Serv Res. 2017; 52: 1647-1666
- Comparison of change in quality of care between safety-net and non–safety-net hospitals.JAMA. 2008; 299: 2180-2187
- Methods for evaluating changes in health care policy: the difference-in-differences approach.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2401-2402
- Hospital cost shifting, a continuing debate.EBRI Issue Brief. 1996; : 1-13
- Medicare's prospective payment system: a critical appraisal.Health Care Financ Rev Annu Suppl. 1991; : 45-77
- Medicare payment policy: does cost shifting matter.Health Aff. 2003; (W3–480-8)
- Pricing by non-profit institutions. The case of hospital cost-shifting.J Health Econ. 1988; 7: 47-57
- Hospital cost shifting revisited: new evidence from the balanced budget act of 1997.Int J Health Care Finance Econ. 2010; 10: 61-83
- Evidence of cost shifting in California hospitals.Health Aff. 2006; 25: 197-203
- Can cost shifting continue in a price competitive environment.Health Econ. 2000; 9: 211-226
- Do physicians cost shift.Health Aff. 1996; 15: 215-225
- Contrary to cost-shift theory, lower Medicare hospital payment rates for inpatient care lead to lower private payment rates.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 935-943
- Private-payer profits can induce negative Medicare margins.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 1045-1051
- Hospital Pricing and Public Payments.National Bureau of Economic Research, 2018
- The relationship between safety net activities and hospital financial performance.BMC Health Serv Res. 2010; 10: 15
- Medicaid-dependent hospitals and their patients: how have they fared.Health Serv Res. 1998; 33: 163
- Does public insurance crowd out private insurance.Q J Econ. 1996; 111: 391-430
- Medicaid expansions for the working age disabled: Revisiting the crowd-out of private health insurance.J Health Econ. 2015; 40: 69-82
- Premium subsidies, the mandate, and Medicaid expansion: coverage effects of the affordable care act.J Health Econ. 2017; 53: 72-86
Financial Disclosures: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Funding Support: None.