To compare the expression levels of ZMYND15 and its target haploid genes (TNP1, PRM1, and SPEM1) in testicular samples of non-obstructive azoospermia (NOA) vs obstructive azoospermia (OA). The levels of these transcripts were also compared in azoospermic samples with positive and negative sperm retrieval (SR).
This study included 63 testis biopsy samples from 16 OA and 47 NOA individuals. Expression levels of these target genes were determined by real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction using ΔΔCt method.
The expression level of ZMYND15 and its target genes were significantly lower in testicular samples of NOA compared with OA. Similarly, the expression levels of these transcripts were lower in samples with negative vs positive SR.
Expression level of ZMYND15 may have potential for prediction of successful SR with sensitivity of 90% and specificity of 60% for total population and sensitivity of 100% and specificity of 75% for NOA, according to the receiver operating characteristics curve.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Report on varicocele and infertility.Fertil Steril. 2008; 90: S247-S249
- Review of azoospermia.Spermatogenesis. 2014; 4: e28218
- Pregnancies after intracytoplasmic injection of single spermatozoon into an oocyte.Lancet. 1992; 340: 17-18
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a novel treatment for all forms of male factor infertility.Fertil Steril. 1995; 63: 1231-1240
- Testicular sperm extraction with intracytoplasmic sperm injection for nonobstructive azoospermia: testicular histology can predict success of sperm retrieval.J Urol. 1999; 161: 112-116
- Efficacy of percutaneous needle aspiration and open biopsy for sperm retrieval in men with non-obstructive azoospermia.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2008; 87: 1033-1038
- Testicular sperm extraction: microdissection improves sperm yield with minimal tissue excision.Hum Reprod. 1999; 14: 131-135
- Fine needle aspiration vs. mTESE in non-obstructive azoospermia.Int J Androl. 2008; 31: 595-601
- Microsurgical TESE versus conventional TESE for ICSI in non-obstructive azoospermia: a randomized controlled study.Reprod Biomed Online. 2009; 18: 315-319
- Outcome of repeated micro-surgical testicular sperm extraction in patients with non-obstructive azoospermia.Asian J Androl. 2007; 9: 668-673
- Microdissection testicular sperm extraction: an update.Asian J Androl. 2013; 15: 35
- Impact of fresh versus cryopreserved testicular sperm upon intracytoplasmic sperm injection pregnancy outcomes in men with azoospermia due to spermatogenic dysfunction: a meta-analysis.Fertil Steril. 2014; 101: 344-349
- Transcriptional levels of four Y chromosome-linked AZF genes in azoospermic men and their association with successful sperm retrieval.Urology. 2004; 63: 131-136
- Expression profiles of the DAZ gene family in human testis with and without spermatogenic failure.Fertil Steril. 2004; 81: 1034-1040
- Cellular expression of protamine 1 and 2 transcripts in testicular spermatids from azoospermic men submitted to TESE–ICSI.Mol Hum Reprod. 2005; 11: 373-379
- ESX1 gene expression as a robust marker of residual spermatogenesis in azoospermic men.Hum Reprod. 2010; 25: 1398-1403
- ESX1 mRNA expression in seminal fluid is an indicator of residual spermatogenesis in non-obstructive azoospermic men.Hum Reprod. 2014; 29: 2620-2627
- Zmynd15 encodes a histone deacetylase-dependent transcriptional repressor essential for spermiogenesis and male fertility.J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 31418-31426
- Truncating mutations in TAF4B and ZMYND15 causing recessive azoospermia.J Med Genet. 2014; 51: 239-244
- Hematoxylin and eosin staining of tissue and cell sections.Cold Spring Harbor Protocols. 2008; 2008 (pdb. prot4986)
- Expression ratio of histone demethylase KDM3A to protamine-1 mRNA is predictive of successful testicular sperm extraction in men with obstructive and non-obstructive azoospermia.Andrology. 2016; 4: 492-499
- Prospective comparative study between microsurgical and conventional testicular sperm extraction in non-obstructive azoospermia: follow-up by serial ultrasound examinations.Hum Reprod. 2000; 15: 653-656
- A rare case of Klinefelter syndrome patient with quintuple mosaic karyotype, diagnosed by GTG-banding and FISH.Int J Fertil Steril. 2014; 8: 221
- Surgery of male infertility: an update.Urologia. 2013; 81: 154-164
- Testicular histology may predict the successful sperm retrieval in patients with non-obstructive azoospermia undergoing conventional TESE: a diagnostic accuracy study.J Assist Reprod Genet. 2017; 34: 149-154
- Fertility outcomes after extended searches for ejaculated spermatozoa in men with virtual azoospermia.Fertil Steril. 2017; 107: 1305-1311
- Should repeated TESE be performed following a failed TESE in men with Klinefelter syndrome?.Andrology. 2014; 2: 42-44
- Successful repeat microdissection testicular sperm extraction in men with nonobstructive azoospermia.J Urol. 2011; 185: 1027-1031
- Expression of VASA mRNA in testis as a significant predictor of sperm recovery by microdissection testicular sperm extraction in patient with nonobstructive azoospermia.J Androl. 2012; 33: 711-716
- Cyclin and protamine as prognostic molecular marker for testicular sperm extraction in patients with azoospermia.Fertil Steril. 2009; 91: 1424-1426
Published online: January 03, 2018
Accepted: December 20, 2017
Received: July 22, 2017
Financial Disclosure: There is no conflict of interest to declare and all authors confirm submission to this journal.
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.