Subjects and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 1625-1638
- Cancer incidence and mortality in relation to body mass index in the Million Women Study: cohort study.BMJ. 2007; 335: 1134
- Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies.Lancet. 2008; 371: 569-578
- Diet, nutrition and prostate cancer.Int J Cancer. 1997; : 13-17
- Body size and composition and prostate cancer risk: systematic review and meta-regression analysis.Cancer Causes Control. 2006; 17: 989-1003
- Obesity, diabetes, and risk of prostate cancer: results from the prostate cancer prevention trial.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15: 1977-1983
- Body mass index, weight change, and risk of prostate cancer in the Cancer Prevention Study II Nutrition Cohort.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007; 16: 63-69
- Body mass index and incidence of localized and advanced prostate cancer—a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23: 1665-1671
- Body composition: what's new?.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2002; 5: 427-433
- Three limitations of the body mass index.Am J Clin Nutr. 1986; 44: 996-997
- Body size and prostate cancer.Epidemiol Rev. 2001; 23: 126-131
- A comparison of body mass index, waist-hip ratio and waist circumference as predictors of all-cause mortality among the elderly: the Rotterdam study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001; 25: 1730-1735
- Waist circumference and mortality.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 1465-1475
- Obesity, body composition, and prostate cancer.BMC Cancer. 2012; 12: 23
- Continuous update project report: diet, nutrition, physical activity, and prostate cancer.(Available at:)
- Obesity and prostate cancer: weighing the evidence.Eur Urol. 2013; 63: 800-809
- Waist circumference, waist-hip ratio, body mass index, and prostate cancer risk: results from the North-American case-control study Prostate Cancer & Environment Study.Urol Oncol. 2015; 33 (e1-7): 494
- A prospective Swedish study on body size, body composition, diabetes, and prostate cancer risk.Br J Cancer. 2009; 100: 1799-1805
- Obesity and long-term survival after radical prostatectomy.J Urol. 2014; 192: 1100-1104
- Body mass index, prostate cancer-specific mortality, and biochemical recurrence: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011; 4: 486-501
- Impact of obesity on biochemical control after radical prostatectomy for clinically localized prostate cancer: a report by the Shared Equal Access Regional Cancer Hospital database study group.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 446-453
- Biological mechanisms linking obesity and cancer risk: new perspectives.Annu Rev Med. 2010; 61: 301-316
- Aromatase up-regulation, insulin and raised intracellular oestrogens in men, induce adiposity, metabolic syndrome and prostate disease, via aberrant ER-α and GPER signalling.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012; 351: 269-278
- Leptin increases motility and integrin up-regulation in human prostate cancer cells.J Cell Physiol. 2011; 226: 1274-1282
- Body mass index and risk of prostate cancer in U.S. health professionals.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003; 95: 1240-1244
- Body mass index as a predictor of prostate cancer: development versus detection on biopsy.Urology. 2005; 66: 108-113
- Obesity-related plasma hemodilution and PSA concentration among men with prostate cancer.J Am Med Assoc. 2007; 298: 2275-2280
- Interobserver variability of transrectal ultrasound for prostate volume measurement according to volume and observer experience.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 192: 444-449
- The effects of body mass index on changes in prostate-specific antigen levels and prostate volume over 15 years of follow-up: implications for prostate cancer detection.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011; 20: 501-508
- Do people know whether they are overweight? Concordance of self-reported, interviewer-observed, and measured body size.Cancer Causes Control. 2015; 26: 91-98
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Funding Support: The project described was supported by Grant Numbers R25RR017589 from the NCRR, R25MD007607 from the NIMHD, 8U54MD 007587-03 from the NMHHD, and K24 CA 160653 from NCI. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
None of the authors as well their institutions have at any time received payment or services from a third party for any aspect of the submitted work.
No relevant financial relationships with entities in the biomedical arena were present during the 36 months prior to publication.
No patents and copyrights are planned, pending, or issued for all authors.