Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
- Decision-making in the physician-patient encounter: revisiting the shared treatment decision-making model.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 49: 651-661
- The importance of patient preferences in treatment decisions–challenges for doctors.BMJ. 2003; 327: 542-545https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.542
- Shared decision making: really putting patients at the centre of healthcare.BMJ. 2012; 344: e256
- Expanding patient involvement in care. Effects on patient outcomes.Ann Intern Med. 1985; 102: 520-528
- Decision Making: A Psychological Analysis of Conflict, Choice, and Commitment.Free Press, New York, NY1977
- Are you SURE?: assessing patient decisional conflict with a 4-item screening test.Can Fam Physician. 2010; 56: e308-e314
- Validation of a decisional conflict scale.Med Decis Making. 1995; 15: 25-30
- Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (CD001431)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001431.pub4
- Do the benefits of statins outweigh their drawbacks? Assessing patients' trade-off preferences with conjoint analysis.Int J Cardiol. 2014; 176: 1220-1222https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.07.219
- Trade-off preferences regarding adjuvant endocrine therapy among women with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24: 2324-2329https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt195
- Patient centered decision making: use of conjoint analysis to determine risk-benefit trade-offs for preference sensitive treatment choices.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 344: 80-87https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2014.06.030
- Patient preferences for disease-modifying drugs in multiple sclerosis therapy: a choice-based conjoint analysis.Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2014; 7: 263-275https://doi.org/10.1177/1756285614555335
- Patient weighting of osteoporosis medication attributes across racial and ethnic groups: a study of osteoporosis medication preferences using conjoint analysis.Osteoporos Int. 2013; 24: 2067-2077https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-012-2241-1
- Home, please: a conjoint analysis of patient preferences after a bad hip fracture.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2015; 15: 1165-1170https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12415
- Caregiver preferences for emerging Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatments: a comparison of best-worst scaling and conjoint analysis.Patient. 2015; 8: 19-27https://doi.org/10.1007/s40271-014-0104-x
- Male urethral stricture disease.J Urol. 2007; 177: 1667-1674https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2007.01.041
- Male urethral strictures and their management.Nat Rev Urol. 2014; 11: 43-50https://doi.org/10.1038/nrurol.2013.275
- The American Urological Association symptom index for benign prostatic hyperplasia. The Measurement Committee of the American Urological Association.J Urol. 1992; 148 (discussion 1564): 1549-1557
- Validation of SURE, a four-item clinical checklist for detecting decisional conflict in patients.Med Decis Making. 2014; 34: 54-62https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X13491463
- The voice of the patient.in: Proceedings of the Sawtooth Software Conference. 2012 (Available from:)
- Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century.National Academy Press, 2001
- AUA White Paper on Implementation of Shared Decision Making into Urological Practice.(Available from:)
- Improving decision-making for feeding options in advanced dementia: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 2009-2016https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03629.x
- The chest pain choice decision aid: a randomized trial.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5: 251-259https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.111.964791
- Training family physicians in shared decision making for the use of antibiotics for acute respiratory infections: a pilot clustered randomized controlled trial.Health Expect. 2011; 14: 96-110https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1369-7625.2010.00616.x
- Use of a decision aid to improve treatment decisions in osteoporosis: the osteoporosis choice randomized trial.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 549-556https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2011.01.013
- The diabetes mellitus medication choice decision aid: a randomized trial.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1560-1568https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.293
- The impact of a decision aid about heart disease prevention on patients' discussions with their doctor and their plans for prevention: a pilot randomized trial.BMC Health Serv Res. 2006; 6: 121https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-6-121
This research was presented at the 2015 American Urological Association Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA, in May 2015.
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Funding Support: Financial support for this study was provided in part by grants from NIDDK/NIH K12DK083021, the California Urology Foundation, and the UCSF CTSI Resident Research Funding. The funding agreement ensured the authors' independence in designing the study, interpreting the data, and writing and publishing the report.