Dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer (Deflux) first received Food and Drug Administration approval in 2001 for endoscopic injection in children with grade II-IV vesicoureteral reflux VUR. As experience has grown, Deflux has been used more liberally with encouraging results. We report 3 cases where Deflux was used in off-label fashion, resulting in delayed ureteral obstruction and loss of renal function (range 18-52 months postoperatively). We now place increased emphasis on the need for long-term follow-up after Deflux in both routine and complex cases, particularly in situations of off-label use.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A new bioimplant for the endoscopic treatment of vesicoureteral reflux: experimental and short-term clinical results.J Urol. 1995; 154: 800-803
- Dextranomer/hyaluronic acid for pediatric vesicoureteral reflux: systematic review.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 1010-1019
- Endoscopic treatment of vesico-ureteral reflux: experience of 99 ureteric moieties.J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2013; 18: 133
- Evaluation of new Deflux administration techniques: intraureteric HIT and double HIT for the endoscopic correction of vesicoureteral reflux.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2014; 11: 439-446
- Obstruction of a dysmorphic ureter following dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer.J Urol. 2004; 171: 395-396
- Postoperative ureteral obstruction after subureteral injection of dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer.J Urol. 2006; 176: 1593-1595
- Delayed-onset ureteral obstruction after endoscopic dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer (Deflux) injection for treatment of vesicoureteral reflux in children: a case series.Urology. 2013; 81: 659-662
- Distal and late ureteral obstruction: a rare complication following dextranomer/hyaluronic acid injection for vesicoureteral reflux in children.Prog Urol. 2012; 22: 192-194
- Deflux.(Available at:)http://www.salix.com/products/deflux(Updated)Date: 2015
- Long-term results of endoscopic Deflux® injection for vesicoureteral reflux in children.Child Kidney Dis. 2015; 19: 31-38
- The modified sting procedure to correct vesicoureteral reflux: improved results with submucosal implantation within the intramural ureter.J Urol. 2004; 171: 2413-2416
- Do the type of bulking agents and injection method have any influence on the incidence of ureteral obstruction by endoscopic treatment of reflux?.J Pediatr Urol. 2015;
- Influence of voiding dysfunction on the outcome of endoscopic treatment for vesicoureteral reflux.J Urol. 2002; 168: 1695-1698
- Treatment of ureteral obstruction after endoscopic injection in vesicoureteral reflux.J Pediatr Urol. 2015;
- Symptomatic bilateral delayed partial ureteral obstruction after bilateral endoscopic correction of vesicoureteral reflux with dextranomer/hyaluronic acid polymer.Urology. 2013; 81: 184-187
Published online: September 26, 2016
Accepted: September 7, 2016
Received: June 9, 2016
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.