Material and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
- Medical therapy to facilitate the passage of stones: what is the evidence?.Eur Urol. 2009; 56: 455-471
- Doxazosin for the management of distal-ureteral stones.J Endourol. 2007; 21: 538-541
- Medical therapy to facilitate urinary stone passage: a meta-analysis.Lancet. 2006; 368: 1171-1179
- Effectiveness of low-dose and standard-dose tamsulosin in the treatment of distal ureteric stones: a randomized controlled study.J Int Med Res. 2008; 36: 529-536
- Efficacy of tamsulosin in the management of lower ureteral stones: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of 100 patients.Urology. 2010; 75: 4-7
- Alpha-1 adrenoreceptor subtypes in the human ureter. Characterization by RT-PCR and in situ hybridization.J Urol. 1996; 155 (abstract:646): 472A
- Colocalization of nitric oxide synthase with vasoactive intestinal peptide, neuropeptide Y, and tyrosine hydroxylase in nerves supplying the human ureter.J Urol. 1994; 152: 1292-1296
- Nitric oxide is involved in the non-adrenergic, non-cholinergic inhibitory neurotransmission of the pig intravesical ureter.Neurosci Lett. 1995; 186: 33-36
- A possible role of nitric oxide (NO) in the relaxation of renal pelvis and ureter.J Urol. 1993; 149: 492A
- Medical expulsive treatment of distal ureteral stones using tamsulosin: a single-center experience.J Endourol. 2006; 20: 12-16
- Nifedipine versus tamsulosin for the management of lower ureteral stones.J Urol. 2004; 172: 568-571
- Is there a role for tamsulosin in the treatment of distal ureteral stones of 7 mm or less? Results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Eur Urol. 2009; 56: 407-412
Weis RM. Physiology and pharmacology of the renal pelvis and ureter. In Kavoussi LR, Novick AC, Partin AW, Peters CA, eds. Campbell's Urology, Vol. 3, 9th ed. pp. 1891-1921. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Pharmacology of tamsulosin: saturation binding isotherms and competition analysis using cloned alpha 1-adrenergic receptors subtypes.Prostate. 1997; 33: 55-59
- Cost-effectiveness of medical expulsive therapy using alpha blockers for the treatment of distal ureteral Stones.Eur Urol. 2008; 53: 411-419
- Localization of nitric oxide synthase indicating a neural role for nitric oxide.Nature. 1990; 347: 768-806
- Nitric oxide: a novel neuronal messenger.Neuron. 1992; 8: 8-11
Lue TF. Physiology of penile erection and pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction. In Kavoussi LR, Novick AC, Partin AW, Peters CA, eds. Campbell's Urology, Vol. 1, 9th ed. pp. 718-749. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Ureteral Stones Clinical Guidelines Panel summary report on the management of ureteral calculi.J Urol. 1997; 158: 1915-1921
- Time to stone passage for observed ureteral calculi: a guide for patient education.J Urol. 1999; 162 (discussion 690-691): 688-690
- The comparison and efficacy of 3 different alpha-1 adrenergic blockers for distal ureteral stones.J Urol. 2005; 173: 2010-2012
- Prospective randomized trial comparing efficacy of alfuzosin and tamsulosin in management of lower ureteral Stones.Urology. 2009; 73: 706-709
- Efficacy of tamsulosin in the medical management of juxtavesical ureteral stones.J Urol. 2003; 170: 2202-2205
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Editorial CommentUrologyVol. 86Issue 1
- PreviewThe prevalence of urolithiasis in the United States has steadily increased over the past several years.1 The morbidity caused by stone disease is similarly significant, as 30% of patients diagnosed with stone disease report loss of work associated with the diagnosis.2 Furthermore, when medical expulsive therapy is unsuccessful, procedural intervention often presents a significant financial burden to both the patient and practice.3 As such, and in light of health care reform with greater focus on financial responsibility, the potential therapeutic effect of lifestyle modifications such as diet and exercise remains an important consideration.