Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
- Varicocele and male factor infertility treatment: a new meta-analysis and review of the role of varicocele repair.Eur Urol. 2011; 60: 796-808
- Reassessing the value of varicocelectomy as a treatment for male subfertility with a new meta-analysis.Fertil Steril. 2007; 88: 639-648
- Efficacy of varicocelectomy in improving semen parameters: new meta-analytical approach.Urology. 2007; 70: 532-538
- Pathophysiology of varicoceles in male infertility.Hum Reprod Update. 2001; 7: 473-481
- Varicocele repair: does it still have a role in infertility treatment?.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 20: 269-274
- Are varicoceles associated with increased deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation?.Fertil Steril. 2011; 96: 1283-1287
- Clinical correlates of the biological variation of sperm DNA fragmentation in infertile men attending an andrology outpatient clinic.Int J Androl. 2007; 30: 48-55
- TUNEL as a test for sperm DNA damage in the evaluation of male infertility.Urology. 2010; 76: 1380-1386
- Effect of microsurgical varicocelectomy on human sperm chromatin and DNA integrity: a prospective trial.Int J Androl. 2011; 34: 14-19
- Decreased sperm DNA fragmentation after surgical varicocelectomy is associated with increased pregnancy rate.J Urol. 2010; 183: 270-274
World Health Organization, Department of Reproductive Health and Research. WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. 2010. Available at: http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/infertility/9789241547789/en/index.html. Accessed November 13, 2012.
- Diagnostic value of the total antioxidant capacity (TAC) in human seminal plasma.Fertil Steril. 2009; 91: 805-811
- Quality control of reactive oxygen species measurement by luminol-dependent chemiluminescence assay.J Androl. 2001; 22: 568-574
- Chemiluminescence technique for measuring reactive oxygen species.Reprod Biomed Online. 2004; 9: 466-468
- Semen characteristics and sperm DNA fragmentation in infertile men with low and high levels of seminal reactive oxygen species.Fertil Steril. 2010; 94: 2141-2146
- The impact of varicocelectomy on sperm parameters: a meta-analysis.J Urol. 2012; 187: 1540-1547
- Relationship between oxidative stress, varicocele and infertility: a meta-analysis.Reprod Biomed Online. 2006; 12: 630-633
- Generation of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal modified proteins in testes predicts improvement in spermatogenesis after varicocelectomy.Fertil Steril. 2006; 86: 233-235
- Seminal reactive oxygen species-antioxidant relationship in fertile males with and without varicocele.Andrologia. 2009; 41: 125-129
- Role of oxidative stress in pathogenesis of varicocele and infertility.Urology. 2009; 73: 461-469
- Attenuation of oxidative stress & DNA damage in varicocelectomy: implications in infertility management.Indian J Med Res. 2010; 132: 728-730
- Attenuation of oxidative stress after varicocelectomy in subfertile patients with varicocele.J Urol. 2008; 179: 639-642
- Effect of spermatic vein ligation on seminal total antioxidant capacity in terms of varicocele grading.Andrologia. 2012; 44: 199-204
- Semen quality and oxidative stress scores in fertile and infertile patients with varicocele.Fertil Steril. 2008; 89: 602-607
- Seminal antioxidant capacity in pre- and postoperative varicocele.J Androl. 2004; 25: 44-49
- Significant decrease in sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation after varicocelectomy.Fertil Steril. 2008; 90: 1800-1804
- Effects of varicocelectomy on sperm DNA fragmentation, mitochondrial function, chromatin condensation, and apoptosis.J Androl. 2012; 33: 389-396
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Re: Baker et al.: Pregnancy After Varicocelectomy: Impact of Postoperative Motility and DFI (Urology 2013;81:760-766)UrologyVol. 82Issue 2
- PreviewThrough this study, the authors very well elaborated the positive effects of varicocelectomy in improving pregnancy rates. Various parameters improve after varicocele repair, but the most important predictor of a successful pregnancy is the improvement in sperm motility.1 The sperm DNA fragmentation index (DFI) also decreases after varicocele repair and increases the chances of pregnancy, but the exact role of DFI in affecting the conception rate and subsequent pregnancy is still not clear and remains to be defined.