Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urology
- Varicocele in children and adolescents. An investigation of the incidence among Danish school children.Scand J Urol Nephrol. 1971; 5: 27-32
- Varicocele in groups of fertile and subfertile males.Br Med J. 1954; 1: 1231-1233
- The influence of varicocele on parameters of fertility in a large group of men presenting to infertility clinics.Fertil Steril. 1992; 57: 1289-1293
- Efficacy of varicocelectomy in improving semen parameters: new meta-analytical approach.Urology. 2007; 70: 532-538
- Treatment of varicocele in subfertile men: the Cochrane Review–a contrary opinion.Eur Urol. 2006; 49: 258-263
- Varicocele as a risk factor for androgen deficiency and effect of repair.BJU Int. 2011; 108: 1480-1484
- Effects of varicocele on serum testosterone and changes of testosterone after varicocelectomy: a prospective controlled study.Urology. 2014; 84: 1081-1087
- Erectile dysfunction and andropause symptoms in infertile men.J Urol. 2005; 174 (discussion 1934): 1932-1934
- Effect of surgical repair on testosterone production in infertile men with varicocele: a meta-analysis.Int J Urol. 2012; 19: 149-154
- Patient-reported outcomes: a new era in clinical research.Perspect Clin Res. 2011; 2: 137-144
- Male Sexual Health Questionnaire (MSHQ): scale development and psychometric validation.Urology. 2004; 64: 777-782
- Varicocele size and results of varicocelectomy in selected subfertile men with varicocele.Fertil Steril. 1970; 21: 606-609
- Microsurgical rat varicocele model.J Urol. 2014; 191: 548-553
- Effects of varicocele on testosterone, apoptosis and expression of StAR mRNA in rat Leydig cells.Asian J Androl. 2011; 13: 287-291
- The effects of artery-ligating and artery-preserving varicocelectomy on the ipsilateral testes in rats.Urology. 2008; 72: 1179-1184
- Leydig cell in idiopathic varicocele.Eur Urol. 1990; 17: 257-261
- Alternate indications for varicocele repair: non-obstructive azoospermia, pain, androgen deficiency and progressive testicular dysfunction.Fertil Steril. 2011; 96: 1288-1293
- The burden of testosterone deficiency syndrome in adult men: economic and quality-of-life impact.J Sex Med. 2007; 4: 1056-1069
- Improvement of sexual activity, pregnancy rate, and low plasma testosterone after bilateral varicocelectomy in impotence and male infertility patients.Arch Androl. 2003; 49: 219-228
- Impact of varicocelectomy on gonadal and erectile functions in men with hypogonadism and infertility.J Sex Med. 2011; 8: 885-893
Financial Disclosure: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests.
Funding Support: This project was supported by grant number T32HS00066 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The project was also supported by The Frederick J. and Theresa Dow Wallace Fund of the New York Community Trust.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Re: Najari et al: Improvements in Patient-reported Sexual Function After Microsurgical Varicocelectomy (Urology 2017;110:104-109)UrologyVol. 115
- PreviewI read the article by Najari et al,1 which demonstrated the improvements in testosterone level and patient-reported sexual function after microsurgical repair of varicocelectomy with great interest. Najari et al used the Male Sexual Health Questionnaire (MSHQ) to assess the pre- and postoperative sexual functioning along with serum testosterone and luteinizing hormone levels. However, I want to highlight some issues related to this article. First of all, the patient cohort is heterogeneous such that 50% of them presented with infertility and the remaining 50% presented with sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction and diminished libido.